Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Perfect Prime Rib

It has been a long time since I served the king of roast.  We prepared and served this during the holidays and it turned out fantastic. I have an unusual way of cooking my Prime Rib that I would love to share with you.

It was in the mid sixties that I discovered Peg Bracken’s best-known book  " I Hate to Cook Book".  During the 1960s and 70s, Bracken's writing reassured women that they did not have to be perfect to have a happy, well-managed home. I loved her writing style, her clever shortcuts;  I still use many including her recipe for cooking the perfect prime rib. She actually wrote this recipe for two, but I adapted it for any size and it is always  success. Those were the days before the homemaker had a meat thermometer in the kitchen.

I sometimes wonder what I was thinking of when buying this book?  I remember  at  that time in my life, I felt very insecure in the kitchen and The I Hate to Cook Book, was written in a way to make you laugh and not be intimidated while doing my best to feed my family.  Down deep I always loved to prepare anything that sounded a bit different and even exotic instead of the ordinary meat and potatoes.               

 Now, for foodies, the 1960’s was the crucially important decade  in which Julia Child not only published Mastering the Art of French Cooking, but starred on television as "The French Chef." In Canada, it was Jehane Benoit who inspired me.  The sixties were also the decade where cooking changed from the way our grandmother and mother prepared food.   And most importantly, it was during the sixties that packaged instant foods appeared on the supermarket shelves; Kitchen appliances such as the microwave and the freezer were revolutionizing our homes.  Peg Bracken touted all these new fads. Clearly, the forces were in place for a foodie revolution. I admit that I tried every new product including cake mixes, instant rice, Kraft Dinner, canned anything.  I have changed over  the years, fell in love with my kitchen and cooking has become my passion. This is my un-orthodox recipe for roasting  the perfect Prime Rib.  Jean is convinced that this is not the right way, but I was quite proud he had to agree it did turn out to perfection the other night; his thermometer proved me right.

Noël 2010_0300

Beef Prime Rib Au Jus

Servings: 8

About This Recipe

"This recipe comes from, “I Hate to Cook” by Peg Bracken, a cookbook that dates back to the 60’s. A great recipe! I purchase my roasts (hotel style-deboned and tied) 2-3 days ahead, cover with wax paper and place in refrigerator to further age and tenderize the meat. This is the most requested recipe for anyone who is served this roast at our place."

Ingredients

  • 8 lbs prime rib roast ( hotel style)
  • 1 teaspoon peppercorns, freshly ground
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 (10 ounce) cans beef consommé, cold

Directions

Anytime between 9:00AM and 12 noon, salt and pepper meat. Preheat oven to 350*. Roast meat uncovered for 1 1/2 hours.

Turn oven off. DO NOT OPEN oven door.

Very important for good results!

I always sealed the oven door with tape to make sure the boys did not accidentally open it.

An hour before serving, turn oven to 350* and roast meat 45 minutes more.

Remove from oven and let rest on counter top for 20 minutes before carving.

Bring pan juices to a boil, add consommé and heat.

Jus can be thickened it a bit with Veloutine*.

Tips:Serve with deep brown potatoes and a vegetable of your choice. Extra ”jus” and horseradish as accompaniments make the meal sublime.

For a 10 pound roast, increase second cooking period to 1 hour.

*Veloutine is an Instant Thickener made by Knorr.

Prime Rib Au Jus

 

Kitchen Hints

Sage’s Hints

 Deep Browned Potatoes a recipe from Jeanne Benoit are perfect to accompany your roast.  Good Idea to buy your roast  a couple of days ahead and let it age covered loosely with a wax paper in your refrigerator.

Thank you for reading me. I do love your comments. See you next week. Feedburner does not function, but I am able to insert emails on my blog for those who want notification. Happy Cooking! 

Rita

45 comments:

  1. Niam! Ça me donne faim ce matin ce délice! Caroline B. Bonne journée!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagine that.. sounds so easy!

    Jehane Benoit..my mom's fave..I still have her big binder and 2 other books..Thank you for sharing this Rita..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rita, this look really yummy and perfect! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately, it is only the two of us and I don't make anything big. that looks delicious though. When my family gets together it's in the summer when we're back up north and near them. That's always something on the grill because we have a very small place. 360 sq ft small...lol....Love your post anyway. I'll have to keep my eyes open for her cookbook in the thrift shops but I'm not sure anyone would get rid of their copy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Rita. Your brother-in-law again. I have been following your prime rib recipe for years with success every time. An overdone prime rib roast is a mortal sin. I wish to assure your readers that it does work even if it seems to differ from most meat cooking recipes. Keep up the good work.
    Gérard et Claudette

    ReplyDelete
  6. That really is the king of roasts. We have one at Christmas and I alwasy think we'll have it another time of the year...but we don't.
    I have not tried this cooking method before but am intrigued....don't open the oven door. That would be hard not to check on a roast like this - the aroma it gives off while cooking is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you want prime rib for two, the original recipe is called Bachelor's Beef. It is in the "Appendix to the I Hate to Cookbook." It serves two with leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these old recipe books. My mom has couple of them and I always check them if I want a classic good old meal. This roast looks exactly that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did read about this way of making a rib roast, and was thinking about it, but I just could give up my oven for that long , I only have one! Your roast looks amazing by the way! I wish I could have a bite right now. I do think that is one of the easiest meals to prepare! And tastes the best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i really love this recipe.. it sounds so good and easy to prepare..thank you for sharing this post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have heard of this method before but haven't tried it yet myself. I do love prime rib with horseradish sauce! I haven't made it myself for ages. Does the recipe give any hints on how long to cook a smaller-sized roast, perhaps 6 pounds?

    What a delicious meal!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rita, this is sure my kind of meal...as I grew up with lots of meat...I'll have to try this method...and sure sounds too easy to be true :-) Your prime rib looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never made this! It looks fantastic!

    Isn't it nice when "your" way turns out to be the right way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This way of prime rib really does sound absolutely perfect! Definitely love a great prime rib!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Would you....COULD you, believe that I am in my 73rd year of life and I have never prepared a prime rib. I don't even think I have ever tasted it. Mr. Sweet loves it. However, each time he has ordered it when we are eating out, it is always so RARE and I don't eat rare meat. I understand that cooking a prime rib to a well done stage would probably ruin it. :)
    Thanks so much for showing us how it's done. I will file this with my other good recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your prime rib is perfectly cooked, Rita. This is so different than the way I prepare a roast, but your results are fantastic. Prime rib is our traditional Christmas dinner. I've bookmarked your recipe for next year. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. looks delicious and love your perspective and history info :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow this is really a perfect rib, my meat-side is calling!!

    All the best,

    Gera

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks fabulous Rita. I used to have that cookbook. I wonder what ever happened to it! I always loved Madame Benoit as well. She was a real inspiration to me! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'll attempt most dishes in the kitchen but have always harbored a fear of roasting meat. Sometimes it comes out fine and other times, not so fine. I am going to trust you (and Peg) on this one and find a reason to prepare this roast.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Who would of thought. Isn't funny how sometimes the old techniques work the best. A prime rib sounds so good right now. Might have to make one between holidays. I will keep this in mind. Have a great weekend.
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Rita! That does look like a very perfect prime rib-not that I'm any expert (smile). It sure does look good though. Oh, and I liked reading about the history of these women. And, you know, I've never seen Julia Child in action. I wish I could find some old episodes. I bet I can if I search;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This would be a wonderful treat for Valentine's Day. I've seen, but never used this recipe. Your photo has convinced me it is time to give it a try. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  24. I haven't made Prime Rib in years. Although I am not a big beef eater but this looks delicious. I know my husband would love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have just recently stopped being a vegetarian. Needless to say, my meat cooking skills are minimal! I'm so glad you shared this recipe with me because it looks and sounds both delicious and easy! I can't wait to impress the rest of my meat-eating family with this prime rib. Thank you for sharing your recipe and thoughts with me tonight. I hope you have a great weekend. I'm so glad Friday is almost here!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am always hungry when i visit your blog!
    I like to cook, but when i am busy it must be quick... Now i have finished I will cook again!

    I wish you 'une bonne fin de semaine'
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  27. If my husband saw this post he would run out at get everything for me to duplicate. Absolutely perfect...just the way it's supposed to look.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a cute name for a cookbook! I can see why you love it, you've turned out one delicious looking prime rib! My husband would be in red meat heaven. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's great how we've all come to cooking from different places. Some started out hating it, some always loved it. This recipe looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Look so tempting....& I love the name of the cook book...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very interesting post. I rarely cook a roast, living alone, so am often intimidated by it. I love the prime rib with bone in.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, what a great post! I've never made Prime Rib myself, my hubby had done it though. Your recipe and instructions are inspiring me to give it a try. Thanks for sharing your mouthwatering recipe and photo.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I remember that cookbook. I know I had a copy. I have heard of this method of cooking and the next time I cook a prime rib I think I will try it. My method with an initial high temperature always makes my oven smoke.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi, Rita! Thanks SO much for posting this recipe! I used this method the very first time I made prime rib, about 22 years ago, and it was the best prime rib I've ever made. I have never been able to remember where I got the recipe so I can make it again. Now I'm thinking it may have been in one of my mom's old cookbooks; maybe THIS cookbook even! Anyway, I'm going to put prime rib on my to do list, because this is the kind of meat I grew up on & it's total comfort food for me. :) Thanks again for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Will try this method of cooking prime rib. Your dish look delicious :D

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Rita,
    Reg. the mini pans I found these mini bundt pans in Walmart, it's by wilton. Bed bath Beyond also had it but it was very costly there & Mini SPringform pan(haven't used that yet) got from Michaels.....if U have any of these stores may be U can check there....
    spice

    ReplyDelete
  37. Prime Rib is absolutely the best roast! I am crazy over it. I stuff mine with about 2 heads of slivered fresh garlic, then cover it with Montreal Steak Spice and place it in my grandmother's ancient enamel roaster, lid on, for 20 minutes a pound - or 15 minutes a pound for a rare one... so delicious. Your recipe sounds like a winner, too. I have a butcher who cuts off the bones, then turns them around and ties them back on again so that the entire roast "roasts" more evenly. I love that.
    Yours looks cooked exactly like I love it. Most of my family likes shoe leather!
    :)
    valerie

    ReplyDelete
  38. I rarely cook roast, but your post made me want to try this method!
    And old recipe books, well I have lots of them and they're truly so useful! I have some interesting recipes which nowadays cookbooks just don't have those nice recipes anymore! I cherish them, and you seem to do the same!
    great work,
    have a good week,
    Annalisa

    ReplyDelete
  39. Ya always offer the best suggestions girl! The roast looks divine...I swear I can smell the dang thing!

    I have many of those old 60's and 70's cookbooks but mostly I just fly by the seat of my leggin's!!! Heeehehehe!

    God bless ya and have a marvelous week sweetie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Rita, I can't believe how easy that is! I'd have to tape the oven door shut for myself, lol! It would just be too tempting to "peak." Sometimes old cookbooks have the best recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Rita, I have heard about this method before, but I have never tried it. You make it sound so good, that the next time I make prime rib, I am going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Rita, this sounds like a flawless technique to me...I am sending this to my son Adam, he was looking at it with me and wants to try it out (my kids are not vegetarians :)
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  43. Leave it to Peg Bracken to harbor such an intriguing recipe. I really should dig out that book.

    I must admit, I too splurged this year. I borrowed a few clues from Mark Bittman. There's only two of us here also but let me tell you, the leftovers were just as good the second night.

    Thanks so much for sharing, Rita. And, thanks for the memories:)

    ReplyDelete
  44. I have always been intimidated by Prime Rib and was afraid to try cooking it for fear of ruining an expensive cut of meat. I WILL try this! Thank you for taking the time to post these wonderful recipes for us. I should tell you more often! :)
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  45. I had to smile, as my mother did the same thing in the 60's. Swanson TV dinners were a big hit, in our home. I used to love the Cocada pudding that came with the Mexican Enchilada dinner. We loved Shake 'N Bake. Who wouldn't love baking cakes from a box? Of course, times are a-changin' where my generation is returning to cooking like grandma. Thanks for the memories.
    As for the Prime Rib... I love me some PR. I've heard of this technique, and I'll give this a whirl during our next dinner party. Looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.