Monday, May 23, 2011

The Perfect Summer Dessert

We are celebrating Victoria Day weekend in Canada  and next weekend is Memorial Day long weekend for our neighbours. I have the Perfect Summer dessert for you because there is no cooking required unless you consider melting the butter. This is one of my family’s favourite sweet treat, a recipe I found a long time ago;  before Dairy Queen,  before M&M and before the supermarkets had frozen goodies.

Don’t you love to have a dessert tucked in the freezer for that special meal? This has been my  tried and true recipe since the 70s. 

It was at one of our family gatherings, so many years ago when we were young and foolish.  Sisters, brothers, nieces and nephews, grandparents enjoying a meal together; my dear brother-in-law whispered to the kids they should chose another dessert instead of the Frozen Mocha Cheesecake because it did not turn out good this year.  I wonder if anyone there remembers this.

Every time I make and serve this cake,  this story comes to mind. Writing about food and recipes always brings back memories of a certain place, a special person, an event;  and I relive the moment for a few seconds. I think that is what I enjoy the most about food blogging.

It is an easy and a win win recipes.  You don’t have coffee liqueur, that’s OK, substitute with 1/4 cup strong coffee and if you have chocolate liqueur, use that instead of chocolate syrup. It all works because over the years I’ve tried it all.  I even made this with Kirsh and cherry juice for a pink Easter sensation.

cake 008

"Omit and substitute! That's how recipes should be written. Please don't ever get so hung up on published recipes that you forget that you can omit and substitute." Jeff Smith.  Do not judge me for quoting him. Whatever he was this is a great line.

Mme Benoit said:  “I feel a recipe is only a theme, which an intelligent cook can play each time with variation.”

I say Nothing is written in stone when it comes to cooking. Be brave and create.

 

Frozen Mocha Cheesecake

Frozen Mocha cheesecake

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
14 ounces condensed milk, sweetened
1/4 cup chocolate syrup
1/4 cup coffee liqueur
2 cups whipped cream.

cake 011

Directions:

Combine together cookie crumbs with butter and sugar.

Pat evenly on bottom and sides of an 9 inch spring form pan.

Cream together cream cheese,milk,chocolate syrup and coffee liqueur.

Fold in whipped cream.

Spread over crust.

Freeze at least 6 hours.

Garnish with chocolate covered coffee beans.

Remove from freezer 20 minutes before serving.

Printable Recipe

 

Sage's Tips

Sage’s Tips

Set the crust in the freezer while making your filling.

Decorate with chocolate coated strawberries.

This is lovely topped with some of the crumbs you used to make your crust.

Perfect with chocolate syrup and coffee if you prefer to eliminate alcohol.

IMGP0321

Thank you for taking the time to read me and thank you  for adding a few words. Wishing you all a happy long weekend.

Happy Cooking!

Rita

41 comments:

  1. Happy Victoria Day!!!

    Gentle hugs,
    ~♥~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victoria Day is my favourite holiday!! Not just because I pretend that it is MY holiday but because it signifies the beginning summer (sort of) and holds so many fond memories for me...while it is not a holiday here in the UK I still like to celebrate. Your frozen dessert sounds perfect for a family bbq and just enjoying the time together...and the sun I hope! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks DELISH!! I now have a hankering for something mocha! Maybe I'll try making a mocha smoothie until I can INHALE this cheesecake once this Challenge is over!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right that certain recipes bring back memories..people..events..from long long ago to just recently..and now with the internet and great blogs.. even our friend bloggers have given us recipes that begin new traditions:)

    Thank you for this recipe..have a great day..

    (if you consider melting butter cooking:) I smiled at that)..quel beau temps ..avec les pommiers fleuris..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Victoria Day, Rita! I too have been craving something mocha. I must find that book. I know it's around here somewhere.

    In the mean time, thanks for sharing the recipe, I haven't made that "perfect dessert" in many years.

    BTW, Happy Taffy/Toffee Day too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rita: This brings back a memory of special dinners while still living at home. My mother loved doing something different (her sisters did pies and cakes--all delicious) when she entertained. I'm copying this recipe because it does sound perfect for summer--when it finally arrives!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Victoria Day! That looks like the perfect dessert, especially associated with family and friends. And have to say, you always have such great tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Victoria Day Rita! This is a PERFECT summer dessert and I love how you can switch it up. Easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like a wonderful dessert, Rita. I love the chocolate - coffee combination of flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This does look yummy! I can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmm... Mocha Cheesecake? My two favorite foods! :) Recipes and foods do the same for my nostalgia, Rita. My grandmother's funeral turned into a hilarious reminiscence when every story we all got up to tell had something to do with her and food. Mine is posted on my blog, about the burnt sugar cake. We were all laughing just as hard, if not harder, than we cried.
    Enjoy Victoria Day! *Tink

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks scrumptious, perfect for summer, I love mocha cheesecake!

    A great recipe, I am going to give it a try!

    Hugs,
    Annalisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. A most definite Summer treat :)
    Love how food works magic with our memories, the sensations are most vivid and usually delightful...

    ReplyDelete
  14. great recipe and can learn so much from your vast experience love it

    ReplyDelete
  15. I definitely will be shadowing you with this, Rita. I love the old refrigerator cakes and yours sounds especially delicious. I hope you have a great evening. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Rita: I so agree with you about food and memories, I feel that's what cooking is all about. And I'm making mine that Mme. Benoit's line, that's also my idea of cooking, one can always improve a dish, but in this case, I think this is already impossible, this dessert is just perfect. Happy Victoria Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks great. Frozen desserts in the summer are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Perfect to keep in the freezer for unexpected guests! The problem is, if I knew this was in my freezer I'd have a hard time not sneaking a bit of it each time I walked by. :) I'm saving this tried and true treat!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Victoria Day! Nice to have such a great dessert for this occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks delicious, Rita. And I am with you! I never follow the recipes, just look at it and then do my own thing!
    Have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Victoria Day to you. This recipe is a keeper, it looks so yummy. With the summer ahead of us its nice to have easy and fabulous recipes on hand. I have family food memories too, its always nice to remember.
    Hope your holiday weekend is great.

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  22. Que j'aime ce genre de recettes. Merci de partager.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Food and memories can't have one without the other! I love those do ahead dessert and this will be perfect for the warm weather.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  24. Re: Your comment in my blog

    Awwwwwwwww, bein' chattty rocks! Since both of us are. :-)

    But I know, I do rattle on too much, sometimes. Well, many times. -grin-

    But still..... Bein' chatty rocks! 'Auntie' sezzzzzzzzzzz...

    ~♥~

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a perfect recipe. And I also agree that we should always feel free to substitute or change anything that we don't like! We had a rainy Victoria Day weekend, here, in Swift Current.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Since the 1970s, wow! That recipe really has stood the test of time - and I can see why - it looks delicious and so luxurious.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy Victoria Day! This dessert looks like a perfect way to celebrate. That cheesecake look positively divine!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear Rita, I love reading your posts. It is very true that the recipe is the guide line but that one should use their creativity and be able to substitute ingredients. Your wisdom is inspiring. I do agree that recipes bring back so many memories that tug at your heart. The cheesecake looks delicious and refreshing. I will be sure to try it over the summer. Thank you for your visits to my blog and for your kind comments. Blessings, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is my perfect dessert! I love mocha, and the no-bake thing is great! I like the memories that old recipes bring when your write about them too.

    I just picked up a Frugal Gourmet cook book at a used book store (really cheap) I did like what he says, but it is still hard to look at it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. you're so right about recipes bringing back memories. I have a few favorite family recipes that always make me think of my grandmas when I make them.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Have a great holiday weekend Rita! This cheesecake really is the perfect thing to celebrate with! =)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love, really love this dessert Rita, look perfect! xxxgloria


    http://canelakitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I pretty much follow a recipe but love it when I can add my own take to it, too.:)
    Thanks for this wonderful recipe..and Happy Victoria Day..xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  34. Happy Victoria Day weekend to you, Rita! This dessert looks luscious. I love to 'tweak' recipes too :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Happy Victoria Day! I love the recipe and love the omit and substitute - I'm big on doing things like that myself all the time. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh my!Thank you Rita,for sharing the recipe and the wonderful memories.I began to feel hungry..this is so good.I am grabbing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  37. And a happy weekend to you also, my friend!
    Great dessert - it would be nice to take that to my in-laws for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Happy Victoria Day from me, also!
    And I'm salivating over these pictures!! Seriously!!
    Sooo yummy!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  39. Comme tu le précises c'est un dessert parfait pour l'été:)

    Bon samedi:)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Rita, this is a perfect dessert for us here right now. The weather here is crazy, it is so hot that it burns your skin when you are in the sun. Food not only brings back memories, it connects people. I have made some great friends through food blogging and loving every moment of it.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Happy Victoria Day Rita. Your cheesecake is beautiful and sounds easy to someone like myself, who's not much of a baker.

    Thanks for all of the tips on substituting. There is an art to substituting and I appreciate sharing your experiences.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.