Wednesday, November 28, 2012

French Bread in a Baguette Pan

bag1

I thought would tell you about my Baguette adventure. This is not the Classic baguette they have in French bakeries. Even David Lebovitz writes about these baguettes not being all created equal.  In my mind, if the French can cheat making their famous French bread, so can I.

Sylvana sent me these baguette pans a few month ago and I have been practicing. I tried quite a few recipes and found this one gave me the best results.

Baguette 003

I know if you are purest, this is not the authentic Baguette recipe they have in France. Personally, I find they dry up so fast and with just the 2 of us, I wanted to find something that would last a bit longer than overnight.

Since then,  Sylvana tells me she made baguette from French Women Don't get Fat

that I plan to try soon.

I am joining BYOB for my November bread. Lots of great recipes here.

 

French Bread for the Bread Machine

 

 

Photo

 

Ingredients

2 1/4 teaspoons yeast

2 cups bread flour

2 cups whole wheat bread flour

1 1/3 teaspoons sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 tablespoon honey

1 1/2 cups water

picxltYMb

1 Tablespoon of Vital Gluten or you own Dough Enhancer

Directions

Add ingredients in the order listed to your bread machine,

or follow the manufacturers directions for adding ingredients.

Choose the basic cycle with regular or light crust.

I prefer to use the dough cycle, shape and bake it in the oven.

Print Baguette Recipe

Sage's Tips

Sage’s Tips

I now make this large quantity of Home made Dough Enhancer. I vacuum seal it and keep in the fridge. If you can buy it already made great; but I have yet to find some in my area.

I love the results and the texture of the bread with this.

This week I made 2 baguettes and 2 small loaves.

 

"The smell of good bread baking, like the sound of lightly flowing water, is indescribable in its evocation of innocence and delight..."
M. F. K. Fisher, ‘The Art of Eating’

 

Baguette 002

 

Di you ever freeze home made baguette and how was it?  Do you have  a favourite French bread recipe you want to share with me? I am still experimenting and want to learn more. Thank you for your visit and taking time to comment.

Happy Cooking!

Rita

22 comments:

  1. I've never made baguettes, and I think yours look terrific. You're right - ideally they'd last longer than a day, so I'm intrigued by your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These breads look fab! And don't you just love that baguette tray? I have a double tray and love using it ... I like nice rounded loaves/baguettes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks great and I am with you good to have it last a little longer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rita..Sylvana is so thoughtful..I have often lingered near these baguette pans:)

    Yours looks good..We just watched Anthony Bourdain in Paris.. The Layover..and the BEST breadbaker artisan (he said) showed us his breads.. that dark beautiful..but hard crust..
    ..I love French bread..but some are so darn hard.. it's impossible .My husband who loves that kind of crust is now shying away..Like those ciabattas? How does one open their mouths wide enough..Some of the Food network shows actually take our appetite away with their monster fat laden drippy sandwiches:)
    Wow did I ever get off topic:)

    So yes..I agree they dry up right away..
    I have a few favorites..from hand made to bread machine..
    Don't know if you have ever been to Ann's blog Thibault's Table.. her breads are so beautiful..all by hand..like a boulangerie..She shares her techniques and recipes..

    The no knead ones..i.e. Jim Lahey give a crisp crust the first day..
    Interesting post:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have frozen homemade baguettes with great results! I just wrapped good in plastic, then foil and let thaw at room temp - perfect! These sound great :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. ummm, I am such a bread lover....this sounds like a great recipe, Sage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have one of these baguette pans and have been wanting to give it a try;-)
    Your baguettes look beautifully baked, thanks for sharing your recipe, nice to find you blogging again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love baguettes Rita and this look awesome , yes French women dont get fat is a nice book!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rita and nice to meet you! I love vintage too...love your photo banner with the blue and white Cornishware! I love to bake, but with only 2 of us, I don't do it often. But I sure love it! Could smell the wonderful aroma coming right out of the computer!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love French bread (especially with a tasty homemade tuna salad on it!). I should give this a try and keep a loaf in the freezer. I also notice I have the same Kitchen Angel as you do! Just noticed it on your sidebar. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can almost feel the smell; that's a bonus when it's homemade.
    Any bread can be frozen. I cool it and wrap it tightly in a plastic bag before placing in freezer. If you want crunchy crust, after defrosting it put it in a hot oven for a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rita, your baguette pan is very nice! I have one which allows for two loaves and I absolutely love it. It makes the bread shape perfectly. Your baguettes look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Rita, Yumm, I love baguettes especially when they are fresh out of the oven. I love your pan. I've tried them on a sheet pan and they did get a bit soggy on the bottom, I'm sure your pan helped with that. Hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  14. J'adore le pain baguette!! Le tien me semble succulent!

    J'ai pratiquement le même moule que toi!

    Bon mercredi:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love baguettes Rita and I am not a purist! If a bread is really good I don't care how authentic its recipe is! Your loafs look absolutely mouthwatering and make me wish I had one right now that I am at work! I made them using this recipe and they were very good as well. Perhaps you want to give it a try.
    http://culinaryflavors.gr/index.php/2011/01/classic-baguette/

    ReplyDelete
  16. no matter whether this is authentic French or not, still, it looks very professional!
    Blog about life and travelling
    Blog about cooking

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're right about French bread not being the same, even in France each bakery can be a little different. So glad you've made it successfully at home. I used to have those pans. I wonder what happened to them...
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have yet to make a baquette that I'm in love with. The Ain5 is pretty good but I still need to keep looking. Maybe this one is it! I love your divided baquette pan.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rita, thank you for reminding me to use my bread machine! I've never baked baquettes.
    ~Judy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cool looking pan. Your baguettes look great, Rita!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Sage,

    You can freeze French bread, but it is not so tasty for me and you must eat all quickly. I tried the bread making machine...but went back to my baker! I am always looking for a good baker.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That pan is really helpful to keep each baguette at the right distance when cooking, I love it!
    I regularly bake baguettes, I use the recipe of a famous French baker and they turn out really good! I try not to freeze my bread or at least not for too long, the taste is not too good after a while, but when I don't have much time to bake the following week then yes, I freeze them, I have to!
    Your baguettes look amazing Rita!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.