Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Happy Raisin Bran Cereal Day!

Raisin Bran Muffins 002000

As I was researching about Raisin Bran cereal for my special recipe, I found out

November 15th was the day to celebrate Raisin Bran Cereal, who knew?

My friend Louise of Months of Edible Celebrations was a pro.

Her blog was dedicated to all the holidays that no one ever even heard about.

What fun that was! I hope after a little break she will return

to blogging and keep us in the loop of all these Special holidays.

Raisin Bran was always my cold cereal of choice.

But sometimes, you need a change  and I thought muffins  would be perfect

to give my morning a new start.  

raisin Bran muffins 1

Have you ever heard of Cereal in a Muffin?

I find Bran muffins made with All Bran very dry; plus I didn’t have any.

I saw a few recipes using my Raisin Bran cereal and managed to create one that is low fat and and very tasty.

If you are looking for a hearty muffin without all the fat, give my Raisin Bran Cereal Muffins a try.

They look and taste just like the muffins from the bakery, but so much healthier.  

They are not too sweet; perfect for breakfast or for your afternoon cup of tea.

 

Raisin Bran Cereal Healthy Muffins

Raisin Bran Muffins 003

12 muffins

Ingredients

  • 2 1/2 cups Raisin Bran cereal
  • 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
  • 1/3 cup applesauce
  • 1 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup raisins

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, raisins and cinnamon; set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, combine cereal and buttermilk; let sit for 10 minutes.
  4. Stir in the applesauce, egg, and vanilla extract.
  5. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients, and stir until completely combined.
  6. Divide the batter between the 12 prepared muffin tins.
  7. Bake 15-20 minutes until knife inserted in middle of muffin comes out clean.
  8. Cool a few minutes; turn on a wire rack.

Raisin Bran Cereal Muffins

Sages-Tips_thumb1

Sage’s Tips

If you do not have buttermilk, add 1 tsp of vinegar to your milk.

I buy little applesnax applesauce from Costco; perfect for a little snack.

If you do not like raisins and I know there are some, you can make it with

Bran Cereal Flakes and add cranberries or blueberries.

Thank you for your visit; so nice to be back.

Happy Cooking!

Rita

BrandFranchise_RaisinBran

 

23 comments:

  1. I do use Raisin Bran in my muffins..one recipe..but they are different..(too much sugar in mine) but they make tones and are called 6 week muffins..the batter keeps 6 weeks..in the fridge so you bake along fresh..
    I will try yours ...healthier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made very similar muffins in the 70's. I do believe I kept the batter in the refrigerator and baked them fresh as needed. Nice memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Raisin Bran Cereal Day, Rita. And thank you so much for the kind words. I really do miss you "guys" and blogging. We'll see how well I adjust to not blogging. Perhaps I can return next year:)

    In the mean time, your raisin bran cereal muffins not only sound healthy but mighty tasty too!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing and don't forget Bundt Cake Day tomorrow, lol...

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice muffinf Rita!! Im happy you are here LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look good. I have a question, is apple sauce what we call "compote de pomme"? I will have a try at your recipe,which is healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'll try this recipe, you make it look so easy and tasty! Thank you, Rita, for sharing with us your researches, discoveries and moments of quietude. You bring light and love to our homes!
    Simone

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking good and healthy; great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could get away with this healthy muffin at our Thanksgiving holiday next week. Thanks for the inspiration. For breakfast cereals I seem to alternate between Raisin Bran, Cheerios and Special K.

    Oh, by the way, awhile back I made your dinner rolls (always a hit) and I think they will be part of my Hunger Games meal plan. Just finished that book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sound delicious, Rita. I love raisin bran especially Kellogg's, I haven't had it in ages. I have used cereal in muffins, All Bran is just a little too healthy for me. ;-) xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Rita. Welcome back! It is nice to see posts from you again. Blogging is very addictive indeed. I love these cereals too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Raisin bran has always been one of my favorite cereals, even when I was a child. Love the idea of making muffins out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Rita, so good to see you back!
    I will pass this recipe on to dh, he is the Muffin Man here!
    I think we have everything on hand.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The muffins look perfect Rita! I've pinned them! I followed you also in Pinterest, you could follow me back if you like! And guess what we have the same china! Lol. What a coincidence!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Rita, lovely muffins! Bran is on my grocery list as there are a couple of breads that I would love to try. And muffins is one of them! Nice to see you posting again and yes, I really do hope dear Louise will get back to blogging!
    Hope you have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember when raising bran muffing were very popular. I still enjoy a bowl of raising bran with sliced banana.

    Happy Raisin Bran Day!

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bran Muffins with raisins are the best! Your stack of muffins looks yummy!
    ~Judy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think bran muffins are my favorite morning muffin. I'll definitely try these.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Buttermilk muffins are always delicious. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a delicious way to have breakfast, Rita! Your recipes are always clever, thank you my dear friend.
    Happy Sunday,
    Annalisa

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the recipe, I will have to try it out. These muffins look very delicious.
    Have a great Sunday!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  21. love these and so healthy and I hope she comes back too like you did "-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would like to invite you to join me at the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week! http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/11/clever-chicks-blog-hop-10.html

    I hope you can make it!
    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've made some very much like these, using cranberries, and we love them. I would like for with my coffee, please and thank you. :))
    hugs, bj

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.