Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Creamy Macaroni and Cheese

 

Mix 003

Sometimes you need a meal that makes you feel good all over.  Whatever the reason, whatever the occasion, a bowl of this mac and cheese will always spell comfort.  This is a dish to fill you up and satisfy you down to your toes, no matter how old you happen to be. How do you like your mac n' cheese?

This recipe is Seriously. Creamy, cheesy, straightforward, ooey, gooey –with little pockets of melted cheese throughout. Depending on different cheeses you chose, mine was quite healthy as well.

Most Macaroni and cheese recipe make a big batch, but this one is perfect for 2 or for 1 hungry person. Of course it can easily be doubled or tripled; it is so easy to make and the best; I have quite a few followers of will be happy to find a smaller version of this perfect comfort food.  

 

Creamy Macaroni & Cheese for 2

  • 11/2cups macaroni
  • 3 tablespoons butter or Becel
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 4 green onions, chopped finely
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 11/2 cups milk
  • 1 cup Mozzarella- cheddar mix cheese, grated
  • 1/3 cup sharp cheddar cheese, cubed

        1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes or Harissa

Mix 004

Directions

  1. Preheat oven at 350°F.
  2. Cook pasta in boiling salted water until al-dente. Drain and set aside.
  3. Heat the milk in the microwave, on high for 1-1/2 minutes.
  4. In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add salt, pepper and chopped onions. Sauté on medium heat, until the onion is transparent and soft, but not brown.
  5. Sprinkle the flour on top, and allow the butter to absorb some of it before stirring.
  6. Add the hot milk in 3 additions, stirring constantly. The mixture will get thick very quickly.
  7. After the final addition of milk, continue heating the mixture, on medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly.
  8. Remove from heat and stir in the grated cheese, and red pepper flakes or Harissa.
  9. Add the drained pasta and mix well. Spoon into sprayed pan and sit under broiler for a few minutes.
  10. Get ready to enjoy a feast for you taste buds or make in the morning and reheat at dinner time.

Macaroni and Cheese for

 

 

Sages-Tips_thumb1

Sage’s Tips.

I am sure your favorite cheeses would work very well, I actually used low fat shredded cheese and Becel.

I used my ramekins, but this would be so nice served in onions soup bowls. with steamed vegetables or a simple salad on the side.

Mix 002

Thank for your visit and taking time to comment. Is Mac and Cheese popular at your place?

Happy Cooking!

Rita

24 comments:

  1. I recently posted a recipe for mac and cheese too, although a much larger batch. And I like baking mine in ramekins too. It really is a huge favourite at our house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who doesn't love mac'n cheese? It's always a hit here. Although it kills me that the grandkids are just as happy (happier?) with Velveeta!) I recently made lobster mac'n cheese (inspired by my Maine trip) and it's decadent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mac and cheese is not very popular here, but I do bake pasta in many different ways ( Bechamel sauce, or ragù alla bolognese are very good when it comes to baked mac!), and your Mac and cheese is simply amazing! I want to give it a try as soon as possible!
    Annalisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I think of comfort food, I think of mac and cheese. Yours sounds delicious and looks delicious as well with the browned top.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. While we were away Jacques said..when we come back..I'd love a macaroni and cheese..Love this 2 portion recipe..Thank you Rita!
    I will make it:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect comfort food, Rita! It looks amazing, creamy but browned on top, just the way we like it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful food for a quiet fireside evening at this time of year. Hope you'll share it at the All Star Block Party!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mac and cheese are always a winner in my house, especially with my kids! These looks delicious, I'm sure there will be no leftovers!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mac and cheese is the perfect comfort food and yours sounds delicious. I love all that cheese in it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The sauce looks like a bechamel sauce, I will have a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As soon as I saw your photo I could just taste this favourite comfort food. I like the cheese cube addition too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That would make me very happy...perfect comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  13. True comfort food. My son could eat mac and cheese by the boat load. Always a favorite on our table. Lovely post, Rita!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made mac & cheese for the first time ever a few weeks ago. It made a TON! Nice to have directions for a small amount :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing your recipe- mac & cheese has to be my favorite comfort food! For just the two of us we don't need a huge pan either and I'm very happy to have my own smaller individual pan;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want some of this right this instant! That looks fabulous! I take my mac 'n cheese very seriously, you know, and I'm thinking this is a delicious recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are right Rita sometimes you just need the flavors of food that is been following you since childhood. It gives you a warm, secured feeling! These mac and cheese are exactly that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. There is nothing more satisfying that macaroni and cheese! I think it brings out the kid in us too :) This sounds so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love mac and cheese! This looks wonderful. I know I would eat way too much.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love a creamy mac and cheese! This would definitely fit the bill!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mac and Cheese is a fave here! Anytime my sons were home from college it was on our menu. Yours looks very yummy, Rita!
    ~Judy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Rita,

    We love cheesy mac too! I like your idea of serving cheesy mac in ramekins too but prefer to serve from a large baking dish because I'm afraid that my son will break my ramekins :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.